Copyright registration services in India
In this digital age where the creative landscape is rapidly expanding, the risk of unauthorized use of creative works is also becoming rampant. Thus, copyright registration becomes very essential.Whether you’re an artist, writer, musician, or software developer, copyright registration is an essential step to safeguard your intellectual property. In this blog, we will explore and understand the concept of copyright, its importance, processof registering copyright and discover how Knowledgentia consultants can be your dependable guide through this treacherous terrain.
WHAT IS COPYRIGHT?
Bundle of legal rights granted to original creators is copyright. It helps to protect the innovator of the original content so that no one can copy or use it without authorization. If an original work needs protection through copyright laws, it must be in a tangible form.
WHAT IS COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION?
With copyright registration, you become a legal owner of your creative work in respect of books, paintings, music, website, etc. Copyright registration safeguards the creative works of the author. The author is eligible to license their work to others for using his work or changing it for a specific amount of licensing fee. Copyright registration safeguards the rights of the inventor from infringement. In India, the registration gives its owner exclusive, individual rights to distribute, replicate, reproduce the work, or give authorization to another entity for the same. It offers a bunch of rights – communication to the public, rights of reproduction, adaptation, and translation of the work. It should also be noted that ideas, procedures, methods of operation, or mathematical concepts can’t be copyrighted.
IMPORTANCE OF COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION
There are several advantages of copyright registration.
- WORK BECOMES WELL KNOWN:
A copyright registration makes a piece of work known throughout the country and makes it searchable in the copyright registry database. This puts them on notice and forbids them from using your work in their own projects or those of competitors.
- RESTRICTS UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION:
If you register your copyright, you can prevent unauthorized copies of the work because it gives the owner access to a range of legal remedies.
- MARKET PRESENCE:
A public record of your work is made by registering a copyright, and your creative work’s ownership is established. Additionally, it can be applied to marketing campaigns and to win over customers.
- PREVENTION OF MONETARY LOSS:
Preventing losses due to copies of the original work being made is one of the main advantages of copyright protection. In India, we are all familiar with the term “piracy,” which refers to the violation of copyright registration. Books, DVDs, and music videos that have been “pirated” are frequently sold on the streets of most major cities. These are not only poorly made, but they also cause publishers and authors to lose a ton of money.
- LEGAL PROTECTION:
The act of registration gives shelter to published work. Without such registration, it becomes difficult to prove the case of the owner in a court of law as the burden of proof lies on the complainant.
WHAT IS THE PROCESS OF COPYRIGHT REGISTRATION
Copyright registration has three key steps.
- APPLICATION PROCESS: The author or owner of the work submits a request to the Copyright Office. The application contains information on the author and the work. At the end of this step, the registrar will issue a dairy number to the applicant.
- EXAMINATION: Once the dairy number is issued, there is a minimum 30 days waiting period. The application is examined by the Copyright Office to ensure that it complies with the Copyright Act and other pertinent laws. If any problems are discovered, they may ask for more details or clarification.
- REGISTRATION: Registration is referred to as the last step. The registrar may request additional documents at this point. The Registrar of Copyrights will issue a certificate of registration once he or she is completely satisfied with the applicant’s copyright claim and enters the information about the copyright into the register of copyright. The applicant receives the Extracts of the Register of Copyrights (ROC), which marks the end of the copyright registration process.
It should be noted that separate applications should be made for registration of each work.
KINDS OF WORK ELIGIBLE FOR COPYRIGHT PROTECTION IN INDIA
Copyright is a kind of intellectual property right that protects original work created in a variety of artistic mediums. The following areas are listed under the Article 13 of the Copyright Act of 1957.
- Literary works
- Dramatic works
- Musical works
- Artistic works
- Cinematograph films
- Sound recordings
- Architectural works
ROLE OF KNOWLEDGENTIA CONSULTANTS
Knowledgentia consultants can assist you in the following ways:
- DOCUMENTATION SUPPORT:
It can be difficult to get everything ready for copyright registration. Knowledgentia consultants can help you to put together all the necessary paperwork, including the work itself, author information, and any additional data that may be required.
- EFFECTIVE PROCESSING :
We value your time, so the services provided by Knowledgentia consultants are created to minimize unnecessary delays and accelerate the application process so that your work is quickly protected by copyright.
- EXPERT GUIDANCE:
Our team has seasoned copyright experts who possess extensive knowledge in Indian copyright regulations. Our team is prepared to walk you through each step of the registration procedure and make sure your application is accurate and complete.
- ONGOING SUPPORT: Beyond just registering, Knowledgentia consultants are dedicated to preserving your intellectual property. If there is ever a violation of your copyright, we are by your side, prepared to offer assistance and direction in enforcing your copyright.
The team of Knowledgentia consultants include experts and attorneys who are well-versed in intellectual property laws and can assist you with important documentation during the registration process. Your creations deserve nothing less than the best protection, so reach out Knowledgentia consultants today for personally tailored assistance in copyright registration.